Servicing and Cleaning Your Coffee Machine
Your cleaning schedule should be performed, without exception, depending on the volume of coffee consumed. Here's a rough service guideline to follow ...
Don't ever wash or rinse the external surface of your machine with water. Wipe the outside surfaces with a damp cloth using standard household or kitchen detergent.
NEVER! - place the frothing steam wand in a container of cleaning liquid!
There are no excuses for not cleaning the frothing steam wand after every time milk is frothed.
Frothing Steam Wand - ensure the frothing steam wand remains clean at all times ... after each frothing, wipe the steam wand clean with a damp cloth and supply a one second full pressure burst of steam to clean out the inside of the frothing steam wand.
NB: If the Frothing Steam Wand is neglected, a crust of dried milk forms on the inside and outside, eventually blocking the steam nozzle. This leads to milk finding its way into the boiler and rotting the water, resulting in a major breakdown situation.
- Remove the drip tray and wire rack located below the group heads and wash them.
- Flush out the waste drain tub underneath the drip tray. Remove excess coffee grounds to keep the drain unblocked.
- Wipe the counter top underneath the machine.
Machine Cleaning for manual or semi-automatic machines ...
What you’ll need .....
Cleaning Your Coffee Equipment
1. Filter Holder Rubber Seals - to be cleaned 4 times per day or shift
With the damp cloth folded over the end of the teaspoon's shaft, clean off the coffee grounds from the groove housing the rubber seal that the filter holder seats against when locked in position.
2. Group Head Shower Sieve
Use the bristle brush to clean off the bottom of the shower head (sieve).
3. Backwash - after every 1 kg coffee (140 cups) do a backwash with coffee solvent.
- Remove the filter basket from the filter holder and insert, in its place, the blind cup ie the filter basket without holes - or place the black rubber blind in the filter basket to cover the holes in the sieve.
- Put 1/2 teaspoon solvent into the blind cup or filter basket with black rubber that is now housed in the holder and lock it into position on the group head.
- Flushing - press the manual dispenser switch for 5 seconds to release water from the group head into the blind holder containing the solvent. The solvent laden water now passes into the working parts of the group head.
- Wait for 15 seconds for the solvent to do its job ie foaming and cleaning. Then remove the filter holder from the group head and position and lock it onto the next group head that needs cleaning. Repeat the flushing process above (3).
- Wait for 15 seconds, then remove the filter holder and lock it onto the original group head. Press the manual dispenser switch for 2 seconds. Wait 15 seconds and position and lock it onto the next group head.
- Repeat this 'Flushing' process for each group head on a 2 second cycle, until the solvent is used up and water only remains in the filter holder, waiting 15 seconds between each flushing cycle.
- Remove blind cup or rubber blind from filter holder, rinse and store.
Wash out - rinse detergent from machine after cleaning:
- With filter holder attached to group head, press manual dispenser switch for 3 seconds, so that water discharges straight into the waste tray.
- Repeat 3 times for each group head to remove any residue of the solvent.
4. Washing Filter Holders - at the end of each shift.
- Once a day, remove the filter cup/basket (sieve) from the filter cup holder and wipe off any coffee residue from the sieve and filter cup holder with the damp cloth. Remove the filter sieve from the filter holder, using a teaspoon as a lever.
- Rinse and wipe clean in cold water.
- If the filter cup holder is heavily soiled ie black deposit of coffee oils, place it in a frothing jug.
- Fill enough hot water in the frothing jug to cover the metal end of the filter cup holder.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon solvent and dissolve into the hot water by twisting the filter cup holder back and forth.
- Leave to stand overnight or for at least 1 hour. If the filter sieve needs cleaning in solvent, then leave it to soak with the filter cup holder.
- Remove the filter cup holder from the cleaning solution and wipe clean with the damp cloth.
- Wipe the filter sieve clean and insert it into the filter cup holder.
- Repeat the process for each filter cup holder.
5. Grinder - clean your grinder burrs occasionally using specific grinder burr cleaning grit.